Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Too Much Work Planned for Biology

My grade nine homeschooled son is (finally) asking for some kind of a schedule to follow. He is asking for my help to organize what I have in my mind onto paper so he can follow it and pace himself.

I am making a checklist plan that allows freedom and flexibility. I am not giving him an hour by hour time slot thing that is set in stone because that is a recipe for disaster for him and he'd not only rebel but could more easily see a failure to keep up.

In the process of trying to sketch it out I added the number of minutes for reading the supplemental biology readings (not the main text) is 234 hours of instruction. That is more than one course's worth if using Carnegie Credits. Depending on who you talk to, we should aim for 120 or 140 or 160 hours of direct instruction (that does not count homework). By the time he reads the textbook, studies and memorizes from it, and does one lab a week he will be at over 500 hours of instruction. However I don't know how much of that work is "homework" versus the "direct instruction" when most of what we do with homeschooling is self-teaching using source materials (not lectures given by me).

At times like this I feel that in my attempt to study things deeply and to use interesting materails not just to use the base (boring) textbook combined with my natural inclination to be a perfectionist I wind up expecting too much that is unattainable and ridiculous. By adding in readings of living books that are actually interesting and fun and educational I have doubled the duration of the course which means we are at risk of not completing the course.

And that leaves me feeling like I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks for listening as I have one of those homeschool moments of self-doubt.

1 comment:

christinethecurious said...

This is one of those times when you feel stupid, but it actually leads you to doing better.

Truly, you can skip something.

But it hurts!

(Glad I'm not the only one with this problem)
Christine in Massachusetts