Thursday, August 18, 2011

Starting to Get Back to Normal

As the problems with the move are fixed one by one, and as progress is made on renovating the Connecticut house after ice dam damage, things are becoming less stressful.

I have one day this week that I'm not required to sit at home and wait for repair people or service providers to arrive and today is it. My body responded by letting me sleep an extra two hours! I woke up feeling like my former self, the me that existed before we knew we were moving and before I started the giant rushing to declutter and move project (and the house renovations and the preparing to get the house for sale project).

There is only one room of stuff left to unpack, the one that contains all our office supplies, computer printers, bills and records, and all the homeschool books and curriculum. I feel a sense of relief at now having a landline phone that I can hear to talk on, working internet with the laptop, a functioning and fully organized kitchen and a comfortable living room with working cable TV and DVR.

I can't wait to get a few more organizational items to help me organize stuff in this small space. This living in a small place with zero storage is all new to me. There are odd wasted space places that need to be put to better use so I am looking for options for shelving and decent looking bins. The fact that the house is contemporary with four areas of floor to ceiling windows (which I really like by the way) also hinders furniture placement and bookcase use. The open floor plan is also a challenge as there are less walls to put stuff on. The angles and cut-outs also impede furniture placement. But this is a temporary rental property so I just have to find a way to make it work for basic living not for optimal living. Although I've always been a colonial house loving person I have to say I'm enjoying all the tree views that these unique contemporary design house windows offer and I have never lived with so much light from the high windows, the open floor plan and the cut-outs.

In a few days public and private school starts in my area of Texas. The homeschool events all start next week also; we are not signed up to attend any but I could add in some fun not-back-to-school parties. My son's online math class begins next week too.

Yesterday I started feeling enthusiastic about planning out my kid's homeschool year (that dread feeling of not being able to get it done was lifted). I hadn't felt that I could put the mental energy to it until the house is a bit more done being unpacked and organized. But, today to my surprise I woke up excited about planning it out (versus panicked and anxious). I am in the mood to design my freshman son's literature course so that will begin momentarily.

I just wanted to share that we are making great progress with unpacking and getting set up down here and that the regular me is starting to come back. I can't tell you how great it feels. Bit by bit we are getting back to living ordinary lives, which makes me happy.

2 comments:

Xa Lynn said...

I am envious of you today, as I am still packing our house (we have to be out by the close date of 8/31) and renting another storage unit for the furniture and getting it there and finding a campground for the time we will be homeless (we cannot get into our rental house until 9/3 or 9/4. I have given up planning any homeschool until we get into the new home, which is a constant source of irritation. I really just want this over with now.

ChristineMM said...

Xa Lynn, hugs to you. I know exactly how you feel. But the camping, at least to me, adds another level of project and frustration! Wow, just think of the post camping clean up combined with unpacking the new rental place. Well, console yourself with your excellent financial condition to be rid of your former house and have that sold.

I'm in a rental plus have my home on the market to sell, so am juggling the mortgage and property taxes plus the rent, and two air conditioning bills this summer!

Hang in there, this too shall pass. Just try to get through it without making yourself sick.

I think I'm more than 50% unpacked. Tomorrow we rent a 2nd storage space and start moving overflow stuff into that so we can have a clutter free small rental home here.

Good luck!!