Thursday, November 27, 2008

Older Son's Top Three Gratitude List Items

While decluttering I found a slip of paper written by my older son. This is from either April or May 2008 when he was ten years old.

He was to write down (just for his own information) three things he is grateful for. In other words they were not to be shared with the big group of kids.

I'll share them.

1. having toys

2. having a house

3. Mom being able to stay home


I was glad I made it onto the list. As I recall back then one of my son's close friends was lamenting that he wished he was homeschooled but he could not be since his mother works long hours outside the home, including some weekend days. His father also works long hours and has shifts on weekends and is on call at other times. The reference to me being able to stay home was more about my son being able to be homeschooled than it was to have a mom at home as schooled kids do.

One thing is a fun and not necessary thing (toys) and one thing was a basic necessity for survival (shelter). So I won't complain that a material fun possession thing made it to the number one spot. I won't accuse him of being materialistic.

In the years to come I am sure that he will have other and possibly less desirable things in his top three things to be happy about, grateful for or to enjoy doing. I dread the teenage years and hope that our close family bonds and possibly also that homeschooling and living this alternative lifestyle will allow my children to stay away from some of the worse kinds of activities including issues of safety risk to his health, and participation in illegal activities. For example: smoking, taking drugs for recreation, underage drinking, binge drinking and getting drunk, driving while under the influence, reckless driving, risky 'fun' activities like cliff jumping in unsafe places, so on and so forth.

2 comments:

Edge of Design said...

I hope this will encourage you to enjoy and not dread the teenage years. The values that you live out in front of your children will speak to them. If you are concerned your child will go the wrong way, then check your parenting skills. If there is unconditional love and trust, I believe your child will not do anything he believes would destroy that. I know that's what it's like between my daughter and I and sometimes you just have to trust your child too. Trusting them goes a long way too. :)

Edge of Design said...

PS: Does your child know you trust him/her? If so, how do they know? Something to think about? :)