Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Secrets of (Some) Addicting Video Games

Interesting short article: Bejeweled Creator Spills Secrets of Addictive Games

A few years ago I discovered my ISP lets me play certain online video games for free. I loved Collapse and Bejeweled as well as Noah's Ark, Zuma, and a couple of others. They were addicting. They were simple. Yet something about them was fun. I knew they were mindless. For a while I got into a routine where to relax after dinner I'd play for 30 minutes or so. Then my husband started playing the same games on his computer in the other room and meanwhile the kids were playing by themselves in another room. That seemed really weird and wrong. I ditched the games and so did my husband.

When I was in my early 20's I had a Nintendo game system and I was completely addicted to Tetris. I stopped playing when I dreamed of the game for what seemed like hours and hours night after night.

By imposing limits on my children's video game playing to one hour a day on weekdays and two per day on the weekends (if they have time) I hope I am helping my kids NOT get addicted to video games. Also, the video games are what gets taken away if the kids break any household rules.

Some parents are against video games played on video game consoles but let their kids play portable gaming systems or let them play computer entertainment games or free Internet based computer entertainment games. Let’s be honest, all entertaining video-based games have the same issues, one is not more evil than another. Some are cheaper, some require more of an expense, but each has pro’s and con’s. Each type can be addicting. Each type of entertainment game should have limits, for children, just so they have enough time in their lives for other good types of play and learning and social time with friends and ‘quality time’ with family members.

Technorati Tags: , , , , .

2 comments:

Edge of Design said...

I understand the hazards to video games. Thankfully, my dd does too and only plays on occasion. She enjoys the WII sports games especially if we play together as a family. I am so thankful to have found your website. I ordered Jeffery Freed books from the library. Mind you, I have learned a lot about Right Brained from my dd as she is the one who is right-brained. She helps me understand how she learns so I am learning right along with her. I have seen all of your awards on your blog and would like to congratulate you on them too. Congratulations! and I look forward to visiting here more often.

momtofivekids said...

my kids play video games and we do put limits. Now, my brothers kids have never had limits on video games and they do like them, but they spend most of their time playing outside, playing sports or other things. I have to wonder if it's because we put limits on our kids that they crave it more or something, or are my brothers kids different. Just my thoughts.