Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Obama on Homeschooling

Homeschoolers have been asking if Obama and McCain support homeschooling. I had tried to find the answer for Obama and could not find it. The closest I got to McCain's stance is that he supports parental choice in education including wanting to start a voucher system so parents can have more choices and financial assistance if they choose options other than their own area's public schools.

Spunky has been trying to get a clear answer from Obama's campaign about whether he supports homeschooling or not. Go here to read what Spunky was told about Obama's view on homeschooling.

My reaction to that statement is: respecting parent's decision is not the same as supporting it.

However as I've told some homeschoolers, the President's take on homeschooling is largely irrelevant since education is a state issue and laws for homeschooling are handled by each state's government.

HEY--this is the first time I've mentioned the upcoming election! I was trying to not blog anything about it...

1 comment:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Very interesting. I followed your link to Spunky and then her link to the outline of influence on Obama's educational mentors.

I know of William Ayers work. I find it to be more political ideology than educational policy.

And as for you--I admire your restraint. I can hardly wait until this election is over. I am worried about who will win, but I am so tired of the propaganda that I will welcome the END. Even if it's not the one I want.

And as they say in my hometown:
Vote early and often!