Sunday, November 12, 2006

Book Hunting Trip Finds, Early November 2006

One day in early November I went to my town’s public library (without my children), to find some books in peace, to scan the stacks, see what was for sale on the small used book shelf, and to find a decent family movie we could watch together on the weekend.

I checked the used book shelf, where all books and videos are sold for 50 cents each. Here is what I purchased:

1. Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
Fiction
“National bestseller”



I have not yet read any of Kingsolver’s books but since so many read them and love her books I figure I must be missing out on something.

This quote from the back cover sounded enticing. “Barbara Kingsolver’s fifth novel is a hymn to the wildness that celebrates the prodigal spirit of human nature, and of nature itself.”

That was enough to sell me on the book.

I think it sounds like a good escape novel.

2. The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home by George Howe Colt
Memoir
“National Bestseller”
“National Book Award Finalist”



A man returns to the family summer home on Cape Cod with his wife and children for one last stay before the house is to be sold. This is a memoir about a family’s life as remembered through annual visits to this summer home.

This sounds like a unique approach to a memoir. I am interested as well because my maternal grandmother was born on Cape Cod and I have ancestors that go way back on Cape Cod (with monuments named after them!). Additionally I have a modern tie to Cape Cod with my husband’s family: my in-laws own a vacation home there, so we visit the Cape more than once annually now.

This seems to me to be a good, stress-free book to read before going to bed at night.

3. After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path by Jack Kornfield
non-fiction



From the back cover:
“Through moving personal sorties and traditional tales, we learn how the enlightened heart navigates the real world of family relationships, emotional pain, earning a living, sickness, loss, and death.”

This book winds together wisdom from all religions and applies it to real life experiences. After reading a few passages I concluded that this would be an easy book to read that would also be enlightening. It looks like a great book for before-bed reading.

---------------

By the way the video I chose to borrow to watch with our whole family was Jules Verne’s “Journey to the Center of the Earth” starring Pat Boone and James Mason, directed by Henry Levin, from 1959.




Technorati Tags: , , .

1 comment:

Unique said...

More books, heh.
It's okay. Deep breath. Find your doubles and sell them.

It'll be okay. :)